Burnout session at AdaCamp Melbourne.
What do people want to get out of this session
- Prevention (some appear to handle it better than others, comes up in every organizations)
- This is a structural
How to fix burnout?
- task design
- organizational design
Types of burnout
- Life-happens, prioritization
- Rage quitting
- People are attacking me from the outside
- fade out - lack of positive feedback
- fade out - due to negative feedback
- idealism: not achieving the ideal, so quitting
- unrealistic expectations
- non-profit workers, not being paid and you shouldn’t ask for more money, work lots of overtime because “you believe”
- create a culture where it’s acceptable to say no
- What’s the role of leadership of an organization in setting policy?
- Organizers need to say no (volunteer: you can’t do that)
- Having backups for things
- Succession planning (buddy people)
- Socializing: Volunteering needs to not just be work
- sophisticated task design
- every task is balanced with a reward
- commitment is very clearly defined
- Planned obselecense
- Top-level direction on planning to quit
- having roles makes it much easier to move people out of them
- Learning how to delegate portions of things
- Co-founding: find someone with complementary skills
- Tasks go undone :D - Just ask individuals to do things
- Australian Associating for Rogaining is an example of awesome
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.