This page deals with female characters in science fiction and fantasy.
Strong female protagonists
Although strong female protagonists are a minority in SFF, there are many good examples. Here's a list of some.
- Kivren in Connie Willis's "Doomsday Book"
- Cordelia Naismith in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga
- Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace from the new Battlestar Galactica series
- Dr. Sandra Foster in Connie Willis's "Bellwether"
- Molly in William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and short story "Johnny Mnemonic"
- Sharrow in Iain M Banks' Against a Dark Background
- Ripley in the Alien series
- Agatha the Girl Genius .
- Beatrice Novak, Police detective in the "Äkta människor" TV series (aka "Real Humans")
- Lyra Silvertongue, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
Sexist portrayals of women in SFF
Unfortunately, many female characters in SFF are portrayed in a very sexist manner. Examples include:
- Many of Robert Heinlein's characters
- Number Six of Battlestar Galactica